Angels and Demons

I usually read the book before seeing movies based on the book. Angels and Demons was different. I happened to see this movie with my brother-in-law a few weeks back. The movie is based on the novel by Dan Brown. I had read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, as well as seen the movie. The movie was a pale imitation of the book.

The movie was quite confusing, especially since the print was not great. It was more interesting than the movie "The Da Vinci Code" though. This meant, the book must be even better.

It has been ages since I last read a book - it was "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga. Though I have been reading, "The Pragmatic Programmer - from Journeyman to Master", since it is an e-book, I have not completed it yet.

When a cousin of mine, dropped in last Sunday, we hit Crossword, Indira Nagar 12th Main. Though the shop advertised, sale and discount, I was kind of disappointed with their choices. Imagine my surprise when I saw no visible copies of Angels and Demons. There was another DanBrown book, The Lost Symbol, which was available for pre-order.

After an exhaustive search, during which I also discovered most of the books I was looking for, wre not visibly available, I asked the shopkeeper for Angels and Demons. After a few minutes of searching, the shopkeeper managed to find "the last copy".

Angels and Demons is written actually before "The Da Vinci Code", though the latter movie came first. The plot is quite revolutionary, and can be ruffle a few Christian sentiments. It was not surprising to find the book, much better than the movie. There are quite a few deviations between the movie and the book, which is already captured here.

The plot revolves around the selection of the next pope after the demise of the current one. Four cardinals who are the frontrunners for the post are missing. On an apparently unrelated front, a CERN scientist is murdered and a canister containing deadly antimatter canister is missing.

The protagonist, Robert Langdon from Harward is called by CERN to help unravel the mystery, following the presence of a symbol branded in the late scientist's chest.

Well, the rest of the sordid details are available elsewhere. While the bulk of the book is a good read, I felt, there were a little too many twists and turns.

In any case, thanks, Dan Brown for reviving my reading habit - hopefully it is not ephemeral.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opening a safe deposit locker in SBI

Opening a Kannada Word document

When gas leaks