Helios - Eclipse 3.6

Helios is the God of the Sun. It is also the codename for the 2010 release of Eclipse, arguably the most popular development environment for java programming language.

As a user of Eclipse for the last six years of so, I did not lose time downloading Helios once it became publicly available.

The first thing that excited me in Helios was the link to Windows 64-bit binary of Eclipse for Java EE Developers.

When I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit last year, I realized that there was no 64-bit version of Eclipse for Java EE Developers. I had to follow the steps recommended in several websites, - of downloading and unzipping the 64-bit Classic Version of Galileo (3.5.2) and overlaying 32-bit Eclipse for Java EE Developers on top of it. While this worked, I had problems with upgrading some of the plugins that I used.

Due to reasons outlined above, I did not try to migrate from 3.5 to 3.6 and preferred to download a new version.

We use a bunch of different Eclipse plugins in our project and the next step was re-installing the plugins. That is when I saw the new Helios feature Eclipse Marketplace.... The best analogy that I can think of about market place is Firefox plugins. Eclipse Marketplace allows you to search for Eclipse plugins by popularity, key words and so on.

This is different from the way we normally install plugins, which is through the Install New Software... link. Here we need to specify the site or location of the plugin, which we must have obtained earlier.

So far so good.

While I could have attempted to use an existing workspace, I preferred to create a new Eclipse workspace for Helios.

The taskbar symbol is different and has the text Java EE IDE in red color with logo in the background.

The Welcome screen had links to What is New in Eclipse Platform as well as in Java development tools. I skimmed through these, preferring to explore these later or as I encountered them.

I could not help seeing a new link in the File menu.

Count (Selected) Resources

Clicking on this gives some interesting statistics on the projects which are loaded (or the resources selected).

I had no problems importing our java projects and getting them to work. There were some build path errors though, which was when I observed the new "decorator" in Helios - a red exclamation symbol to indicate there is something wrong with the project.

I also observed a folder created in the drive where I had unzipped Helios - D:\opt\public\technology\epp\epp_build\36\eclipse.S-3.6RC4-201006031500 - wonder when it got created.  Need to remove this and see if it causes any issues.

I found one issue running unit tests (we use TestNG). I noticed this in the console, though tests passed fine. Perhaps due to this, the view did not switch to the TestNG automatically after the run.

[org.testng.internal.PoolService] Shutting down poolservice org.testng.internal.PoolService@177ba38f terminated:false
It looks like this is not something worry about.

Java EE Module Dependencies section in the properties for a web project has been replaced with Deployment Assembly. 
In short, I am up and running on Helios and none the worse for it. I went through "What is new" and there are quite a few things which should help developers.

For those interested, these are the Eclipse plugins that we use.

Comments

  1. Thanks for your magical words, my friend:
    "Java EE Module Dependencies section in the properties for a web project has been replaced with Deployment Assembly."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Opening a safe deposit locker in SBI

Opening a Kannada Word document

Automating a cordova ios build