Paperless IT returns and refund

It was that time of the year to file IT returns.

I have filed returns on my own ever since I was required to do.  Ever since e-filing was available, I had chosen the option.

In the past, it was required to send ITR-V, the Verification Form that is generated on filing the returns by post.   From this year, that requirement has been dispensed with, in favour of e-Verification of the Returns.   This is done by sending a code to the mobile number of the tax payee.  IT department has provided three ways this can be done.

If income less than 5 lakhs, the code can be sent to

  • registered email/phone number of E-filing website.

If greater than 5 lakhs, user can choose two options:

  • through Netbanking of the Bank they Bank with
  • using the mobile number registered for Aadhaar

I chose the last option - yet another advantage of having an aadhaar card.

Also, I used the Excel option instead of Java like last year.

What I liked about the method was how it has been done taking into account the compliance as well as the convenience for various categories of users.

So, I submitted my (and my wife's) Tax returns on 14th July.  My wife had a small refund and it got processed on 30th July - just about 2 weeks since the submission.  (And the last date for submitting returns is 31st August, which means the returns are now being processed even before the due date - maybe it always was:)

After the passport experience, this was yet another wonderful experience from a Government agency and a matter of great pride.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Opening a safe deposit locker in SBI

Opening a Kannada Word document

Switching to Tatasky make my pack